While Ira Bernstein is best-known for his decades work as an amazing dancer of many styles, Ira is also a fine old-time fiddler. Ira wrote this super cool piece that has become a semi-standard in old-time. Chips and Sauce is perfect for cross-tuning. If you are new to cross-tuning, this is a great tune to jump in. I use a few approaches to bowing (3-1 bowing and Nashville shuffle). With the A part starts on an F#m and the B part starts on an E chord, the tune’s resolution to the A chord at the end of each part is very satisfying. Learn this tune!
Here's What You Get:
$15 (Sheet music PLUS video lessons you can watch over and over, and play-through videos to practice along with)
- A part
- B part
The Sandbridge Old-time Fiddle Video Project
For the last few years, I have run a 3.5-day old-time fiddle retreat for intermediate level players in Sandbridge VA – The Sandbridge Old-Time Fiddle Retreat. We hold the workshop in a couple of beautiful oceanfront houses. We focus on a variety of bowing systems to create a solid groove, left-hand techniques (chording, slides, ornaments, 4th finger unisons etc), altered tunings, chord theory and more. For all the tunes, we prepare summary videos and provide written transcriptions with all bowings and notation of the left-hand techniques. I am pleased to now make many of these recordings available for everyone. The scope of material presented for each tune is comparable to several private lessons.
Topics covered in most of the videos include the following:
See also Ken’s book Old-time Fiddle Style (Mel Bay, 2010)
- Basic melody broken down phrase by phrase
- Bowings for all phrases
- Bowing ideas include 3-1 bowing, Nashville shuffle, bow pulses, ghost bows, bow rocks
- Rationale for bowing
- Altered tunings include ADAE, ADAD, AEAE, AEAC#
- Description of all chording
- Left-hand techniques
- Discussion of the chord progression
- Written transcriptions with bowings and chords
- Practice tracks along with a play-through of the full tune
- Thank you for your support - I hope you enjoy the tune! Please do not share your purchased music and videos.
© 2020 Ken Kolodner/All Rights Reserved. Recorded at Sandbridge VA for the Spring 2020 Sandbridge Old-Time Fiddle Retreat (Sandfiddlers)